1 c. Coconut Oil
3/4 c. Coconut Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 c. Cacao Powder
1 c. Coconut flakes
1/4 c. Chia Seeds
1 1/2 c. Raw shelled Hemp Seeds
1 c. Dates
1-2 tblsp. Coconut Sugar
1/2 c. Unsweetened Melting Cacao Chips (optional)
1 tsp. Crushed Himalayan Pink Salt
- Soak the chia seeds in the coconut milk for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to check consistency and break up clumps (I like to use a small whisk), set aside.
- Next, in a small food processor pit your dates about 10 at a time, and then top with coconut flakes. Process until it becomes clumpy, repeat.
- Then, In a large bowl combine the melted coconut oil, vanilla, cacao powder, hemp hearts, processed dates & coconut, soaked chia seeds and a tblsp. of coconut sugar. Mix with a spatula or your hands! until well incorporated.
- You will need a large, flat glass pan, or my personal favorite, a cheesecake pan, with removable sides. If you use a glass pan, coat the bottom with a thin layer of coconut oil, for easy removal. If you use a cheesecake pan, remove the bottom circle, wet with faucet, then place waxed paper over it and flatten until smooth, fold the corners under and place back within the edges of the pan.
- You can also roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet or plate in the ‘fridge to cool, then dip in cacao & roll in coconut, or sprinkle coconut sugar & salt on top! If you do this, you may need to cool the mixture slightly until the coconut oil has a chance to solidify a bit.
- Pour your mixture into the pan of your choice and place in refrigerator.
- Fill a small pot with about two inches of water, then place another small pot or small heatable metal bowl atop that, (it should be floating on the water). Place your melting chips in the small bowl, and stir frequently. Heat on high until the water boils, then turn down to medium or low until all cacao is completely melted.
- Take your bars out of the refrigerator and drizzle your melted cacao on top, then while cacao is still melty, sprinkle coconut sugar and crushed salt on top. Place back in refrigerator.
- Refrigerate overnight, or until solid. Cut, and enjoy!
These bars are raw, gluten free, soy free, vegan, sugar free and energy packed! Personally, I am not a huge “breakfast in the morning” person, especially when my mornings start before 6 a.m., but I know how important it is to eat (& drink water!!) in the mornings to jump start your digestion, so I developed these bars as a great pairing with my black coffee in the mornings to keep the jitters away, before I’m ready to eat a full breakfast. They are also great grab and go’s for hikes, adventures, road trips, or daily life. They are packed full of omega 3 fatty acids, complete vegan proteins, soluble and insoluble fibers, antioxidants, and they help balance your blood sugar, providing hours of energy. Hemp seeds also contain all 10 essential amino acids your body needs, as well as a specific omega-6 fatty acid (GLA) not found in any other food! They are also rich in minerals, including iron, magnesium, zinc and potassium. So you can feel great about having these first thing in the morning to get your metabolism going. It’s important to drink water with these as chia seeds can be dehydrating because of their detoxifying properties.
*I prefer to use all organic ingredients whenever I can, which is easy and affordable now that Costco offers most of these ingredients! Yay!